Each piece of equipment has one or more Superusers, a Technician-in-Charge of maintenance, and Qualified Users. To become a general qualified user, you must go through the following procedures:
(1) Read the operation manual for the specific piece of equipment. Be sure you have a fairly good understanding of the operation of the machine before contacting a qualified user for training. This will save both of your time and trouble. The lab manual is available on line on the Microlab's web page, and in hard-copy form in three binders located on a shelf above the Sun workstations, in the lab lobby.
(2) Make an appointment with any qualified user of that piece of equipment to learn the operation of the machine. (Please do not ask staff members to train you on equipment.) You can obtain a listing of qualified users for any given piece of equipment here. [Click]
(3) Prepare and clean any necessary materials and accessories. Ask the trainer about this when you make the appointment.
(4) While being trained on any equipment, the student trainer should use the "recharge" option under the Equipment category on the Wand. This way the student being trained incurs the charges for the equipment usage.
(5) After training, you should practice on the equipment under the supervision of a qualified user, to become familiar with it. A qualified user MUST BE WITH YOU by the machine at all times while you are learning to operate it. You are not permitted to use any equipment alone before being officially qualified.
(6) When you feel you can operate the machine independently, you may start the qualification procedure. Review the manual, paying attention to the study guide at the end. Not all manual chapters have a study guide at the end, only those that require a written test do. [Click]
(7) Take the written test in the Microlab Office (406 Cory) and wait for an e-mail notification that your test has been graded. Come to the office to review your test. If you passed, you will receive the oral test form specific to that equipment, then make an appointment with a superuser to take the oral qualification test. If you failed the written test, study some more and take the written test again.
(8) If there is no written test for the piece of equipment you wish to qualify on, proceed to make an appointment with a superuser for verbal qualification. General equipment Qualification Forms are available in the lobby by the login terminal.
You will notice that there are a few exceptions to the no-qualification-by-staff rule cited above, for especially sensitive equipment, such as the scanning electron microscopes, the pattern generator and furnaces. In these cases, the script (Superuser) will appear only next to staff names.
(9) Have your samples and materials ready for the qualification process and bring your qualification form. During the oral test the Superuser will watch you use the system while you explain your actions. If you are well prepared, the Superuser will sign your qualification form.
(10) Place the form in the marked box on the counter in the reception area in front of the lab or turn it into the office. Your name will be added to the computer database of qualified users, permitting you to enable the machine through the Wand the following day.